It might seem a bit unusual in the middle of the summer heat to want a bowl of chili, but I did. So that’s what I whipped up tonight…some turkey chili. I really like to have a “hot lunch” most days, and I love soup. Something about soup is comforting as well as filling. I nearly always feel satisfied after a bowl of soup.
Since I’m eating low sodium, I happily created a nice chili that meets that criteria. Here’s what I did:
- Couple of tablespoons of EVOO
- Half a Walla Walla sweet onion, chopped
- Two cloves of garlic, minced
- One package of ground turkey
- Chili powder, cumin, Mrs. Dash table blend, red pepper flakes, splenda/sugar blend
- One small can Hatch green chilies
- One can low sodium chili beans, with the sauce
- One can low sodium dark kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Two 8oz cans of no salt added tomato sauce
I sauteed the onion and garlic in the EVOO to just soften it and then added the ground turkey, stirring to break it up. I like to season the meat and so then I added all the spices and the splenda/sugar (a TBSP), the latter of which I think helps cut the tomato acidity. Then threw in the green chilies and cooked it all until the turkey was cooked through. Then added the beans and tomato sauce and after tasting it, a bit more chili powder. (I don’t measure the spices….just add to taste.) I turned it to simmer and covered it and let it simmer for about 45 min. And, voila, chili!